Pediatric Occupational Therapy Assessment and Treatment
When a child has difficulty with everyday activities that seem to come naturally to other children, consider contacting an occupational therapist. An occupational therapy assessment can provide parents and teachers with a greater understanding of the child’s difficulties. Occupational therapists are skilled at identifying the “just right challenge’ to gradually build a child’s skills or finding alternative ways of performing activities. In addition, occupational therapists are knowledgeable about adaptive equipment.
Occupational Therapists also work with children who exhibit challenging behaviours. Occupational therapists may be able to identify underlying factors contributing to the behaviour and provide recommendations that will enhance a behavioural plan.
Occupational therapy may benefit children who have difficulty with:
- Fine motor skills such as printing, using scissors, or manipulating small objects
- Gross motor skills such as participating in gym class or recreational activities typically enjoyed by their peers
- Self-help skills such as eating, bathing, dressing or toileting
- Written work, produced by hand or with a computer
- Classroom or household routines
- Organizational skills
- Social interactions
THINK Occupational Therapy’s services for children or youth include:
- Written reports
- Individualized therapy in the home, school or community
- Consultation regarding Individualized Education Plans or Personal Support Plans
Fees for occupational therapy services are a function of the type of service: assessment, direct therapy, or workshops. Please contact THINK Occupational Therapy to discuss the type of service you require. Clients may wish to explore their eligibility for funding via sources such as: extended health insurance plans, provincial government funding, auto insurance policies, or some children’s charities.
Canada Revenue Agency recognizes occupational therapists as authorized medical practitioners for the purposes of claiming medical expenses on personal income tax forms.